Friday, April 19, 2013

Watch D.O.G.S.

I got to go to the elementary school today as a Dad Of Great Students.  Each day dads can sign up to come and spend the whole day at the school.  My brother, John, and I signed up for today.  They had the schedule all ready for me as to where I would be throughout the day:


I got to spend some time in each of our kids' classes.  First was Alex's class.  Today was show and tell so I got to listen to all of the kindergarteners get up and talk about what they brought.  I then headed over to Daniela's class where the teacher asked me to use a staple remover and take down all of the posters that were hanging up outside of her classroom.  Daniela asked if I would play soccer with her and her class during recess.  She said that they always play boys against girls and the girls always lose.  Of course, I chose to be on the girls' team.  It was so much fun going out and playing soccer with them.  Almost towards the beginning of the game, I was playing defense.  I was just outside of our goalie box when one of the boys on the other team kicked it to try to score.  I stopped it with my foot then looked up.  There was no one around me, so I kicked it high and hard.  It sailed over everyone's heads, bounced a couple of times and went into the goal.  The girls cheered.  They were so amazed at the 'awesome kick' and were just so happy that they were finally winning. :)  We ended up beating the boys and I got high fives from all of the girls.

I then went to a different teacher's class where she had me do math flash cards with the students. (None of our kids were in this class).

At lunch John and I were outside playing with everyone again.  We both played on Daniela's girls team and together we helped them beat the boys again.  Daniela told me later that the boys were mad that they finally lost.

I forgot to say that at the beginning of the day, the principal had us go to the office and introduce ourselves to the school over the intercom.  I told them that I was excited to be there, that I loved soccer and nobody could score on me.  After Daniela's class went inside from lunch, other classes came out for their lunch recess.  There was this one hispanic sixth grader who saw me and told me that she would easily score on me.  The challenge was thrown down.  Teams were picked and of course I had to play goalie.  I stopped her first twenty shots.  Then John said something like, "Man, she really wants to score against you."  I told him, "Yeah, and I bet she will on the next shot."  I had to let her score.  So, I did.  She was very happy.

After lunch I went into Krista's class.  Her teacher had to go to a funeral, so Krista's class joined with another one where we watched Bill Nye the Science Guy.  I was Krista's chair for the movie.

Last was Brandon's class.  They were working on math, so I was excited.  I walked around and helped some of the students, which was fun.  Then the teacher split the students into groups to talk about a book they'd started to read.  The teacher gave me a heads up beforehand, so I was also prepared having read the first 13 chapters like everyone else.  It's called Between Shades of Grey.  It's really a good book so far.

And that was the day.  It was really pretty fun.  I enjoyed it the whole time and I'm so glad that I took the day off work to spend it with my kids at their school.  It's something none of us will ever forget.


Unfortunately, this picture was taken after Alex had already gone home for the day.

No comments: