Sunday, January 20, 2013

Our Talks

Grant, Brandon, and I all spoke in church today.

Brandon spoke on the Holy Ghost.  One quote that I liked from his talk...We have been promised that the Holy Ghost can be with us always—each day of our lives. We can all be spiritually influenced and led each day – multiple times each day. The next time somebody asks, “When was the last time you felt the Spirit?” you want to be able to respond by saying, “Well, what time is it?”

I spoke on reaching our potential.  We are here to write our own story and like the song says, I decide who I'll be. Our time here on earth won't always be easy. If we think about our time here upon this earth compared to eternity, our earth life is not long. Some days may seem to pass by slowly, but the weeks, months and years pass so quickly. I can't believe that I have a 12 year old and that my baby will turn 6 next month! We make choices each day. The choices we make each day determine how we will live forever. We decide how our story is written day to day. Our happiness in this life and in the eternities is determined by the choices we make on a daily basis.

I hope that we will all have an insatiable desire to ponder on the life of the Lord, to learn of Him, to the point where we can say, “I know that He loves me, I know that I love Him and I know that whatever He will ever ask of me, will be for my own best good, as difficult as it may be.”

I want to turn my life over to Him, to be molded and shaped, to become the person He knows that I can become. I want to live my life so that my Savior knows that I love Him. I want to give my heart to Him. I want to live with Him forever. I also want to live my life so that my family knows that I love them, that I want to be with them forever. I write my own story, but all of our stories are intertwined, intermingled. I'm helping my family write their story and they are helping me write mine. We are all helping each other. As we love, care and serve one another, we help each other reach our potential and to stay on the right path.

Life isn't easy, but Heavenly Father gave us many things to help us along our way. He gave us the knowledge of the Plan of Salvation and the gospel to help us stay on course. We will make mistakes and have to make U-turns in life, but if we remember that we matter to our Heavenly Father and our Savior, we can become a masterpiece. 

Grant spoke about not giving up on wayward spirits.  There are so many examples of men and women who are incredibly faithful, strong members whose children fall away.  That is likely the reason God places such children with strong parents!  Elder Maxwell called this divine positioning -- God's placing weaker spirits with stronger spirits for the purpose of spiritual rescue.  Suddenly, with that perspective, parents of rebellious children might realize that their child's waywardness is a calling, not their failing.

No comments: